Monday, August 07, 2006

The rest of 12th grade

After realizing that Edina would never give me a good partner to debate with, I moved on to another school, Highland Park, which was just starting up its policy debate program as well as being closer to home. I debated by myself, or “maverick,” at most of the tournaments that year and had no major accomplishments. I didn’t really have any expectations; I debated purely for the pleasure. There’s nothing like beating someone else in a contest of the mind.

I’m not sure why I engaged in such self destructive behavior during 12th grade. One could argue that I was dangerously close to destroying a better future. However, I had incredible self-confidence, and I was certain that nothing that I did could greatly affect my future. I could probably be blamed with doing the minimal amount of work to get into a good school, because I hate doing work that I consider trivial or useless. My grades went up. I got into my school off of the waitlist. I’m still working on my college stories. Come back in two years to hear that thrilling adventure.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Serge...
I don't know what to say...
it's been a long time

11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home